News, Information and Upcoming Events
WSRS President's Viewbox: December 2013
Warm Holiday wishes to you and yours this Season.
1) Please commit your voice and presence to the 2nd Annual WSRS Day in Olympia, January 29, 2014. Last year's event was both enjoyable and effective. Numbers garner attention in Olympia. Your participation will be influential. Last year, 24 members held in-person constituent meetings with legislators emphasizing actions to maintain patient access to safe and appropriate high quality imaging services in Washington state.
WSRS will provide round trip coach transportation between Seattle & Olympia, lunch, and will coordinate all constituent meeting logistics. Talking points and resource materials will be provided prior to the event. RSVP today to Debra Alderman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Your Society actions are always guided by the tenets of Information, Interaction, Advocacy and Membership Value. Let us know your opinions so that your Society can best advocate for your views as our state Department of Health considers rule changes for the use of computed tomography and potential changes to the scope of practice for Radiologist Assistants. Your Society is at the table for both discussions providing a strong voice for sensible regulations and the preservation of patient access to quality imaging services. Contact us through our association executive, Debra Alderman, email@example.com.
I look forward to seeing you on January 29th!
Jonathan Medverd, MD
Health Benefit Exchange Resources
From the Washington State Medical Association
County and Specialty Society Leadership,
No doubt physicians in your communities have questions about the new health care exchange. Coverage is Here. This is the state's slogan to promote the launch of Washington Healthplanfinde, the state's new health benefit exchange. On October 1 patients will be able to shop for health insurance coverage online, with coverage taking effect after January 1, 2014.
The WSMA has resources available to help your members navigate the new system.
We've redesigned our dedicated Health Benefit Exchange resources page at www.wsma.org/health-benefit-exchange. There you'll find comprehensive resources for physicians, including a section on what to tell patients, and a section on what they need to know for their practice. Also included are instructional videos, on-demand webinars, plus information on provider contracts.
The page also includes a simple, clear explanation for patients on how to get started getting enrolled, a cost-estimate calculator, and links to additional information.
Bookmark the page: www.wsma.org/health-benefit-exchange. We'll keep you posted as more resources become available. Please share this information with your memberships.
President's Viewbox – September 2013
I hope everyone had opportunity to enjoy and relax with friends and family during our outstanding summer weather this year. Your Society remains committed to the tenets of Information, Interaction, Advocacy, and Membership Value. Two more Society firsts towards these goals will occur this fall. I urge your participation in both.
1) Monday September 16th, 6:20 PM. Please email Debra Alderman at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP and receive your log in information to virtually attend our WSRS Meeting of the Board from the comfort of your home or office. We will conduct two important discussions that you can both view and contribute to via live video stream and real-time chat interface.
- First guest will be Mr. Daniel Van Gent of the Washington Department of Health. WA State is currently creating new rules for the use of computed tomography. Each of you is an expert in the applications and safe use of ionizing radiation. Your questions, comments and feedback will assure that your Society representation in this process will be inclusive and comprehensive.
- Second guests will be WSMA President, Dr. Nicholas Rajacich, and CEO, Ms. Jennifer Hanscom. State legislative priorities, agenda and opportunities for collaboration will be discussed.
2) Wednesday October 9th. WSRS will sponsor a fundraiser for State Senator Nathan Schlicher, MD JD. Senator Schlicher is the incumbent and viable candidate on the November ballot in the 26th district. He is the only physician member of our legislature. He understands and is a strong supporter of issues important to patients and doctors, including imaging specialists. We invite you to attend and urge you to support this worthy cause.
While political action is inherently controversial, it is critical for the radiology perspective to be included in all relevant discussions in Olympia. Predictably, you will not agree with every position on every issue that supported candidates and congress people may take. Political party predilection and significant social issues divide us. Political advocacy efforts will focus on and promote issues that we all share as professionals so as to bring us together and build the strength of our profession.
I look forward to being with you on September 16th and October 9th.
Jonathan Medverd, MD
Donate the WSRS PAC: More
Read the latest WSRS President's Viewbox: More
Turning Dollars Into Actions - WSRS President Shares Secrets to Fundraising and Member Communications: Read the story at ACR
Proud Supporters of the
WSRS 2013 Annual Meeting
ACR Chapter Executive Update
ACR Chapter Portal
ACR Fellowship Guide
WSRS 2013 Legislative Reports
AMAWire: Federal Health Care Advocacy Newsletter
The WSRS supports the highest standards of diagnostic and therapeutic radiology for our members and their patients.
A Chapter of the American College of Radiology
To provide a forum for radiologists in Washington state on issues of concern to radiology; to provide representation for Washington state radiologists in decision making by the American College of Radiology on these issues; to introduce Washington State radiology residents to the ACR.